How To Check Your Fireplace For Carbon Monoxide?

The winter holidays are upon us, and many of us will be spending time around the fire. It’s important to know that when you have a fireplace chimney, there is a risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. The CO gas can come in through cracks in the chimney, so it’s crucial to do a test before you light any fires or go to sleep at night.

How to Check Your Fireplace for Carbon Monoxide

It’s important to regularly check your fireplace for carbon monoxide, as this gas can be deadly if it builds up in enclosed spaces. Here’s how to do a quick check:

-Open the damper or chimney flue before starting a fire.

-Make sure the fire burns hot and with a good flame. A smoldering fire can produce more carbon monoxide than a hot, roaring one.

-Be sure to have your fireplace serviced regularly by a professional. They can check for any blockages or other issues that could cause problems.

If you think there may be carbon monoxide present in your home, open windows and doors to ventilate the area and call a professional to come and check things out. Better safe than sorry!

What are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

If you think you may have carbon monoxide poisoning, it is important to get medical help right away. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be similar to the flu, and can include:

If you have these symptoms and you think they may be caused by carbon monoxide, get outside into fresh air immediately and call 911.

Possible Explanations for High Levels in a Home

There are a few possible explanations for high levels of carbon monoxide in a home. The first is that there is a problem with the fireplace itself. If the fireplace is not properly ventilated, it can cause a build-up of carbon monoxide. Another possibility is that there is something blocking the chimney, such as a bird’s nest or leaves. This can cause the gas to back up into the house. Finally, if there is a crack in the chimney, it can allow carbon monoxide to leak into the home.

Testing Gas Appliances for CO Leaks

If you have a gas fireplace, it’s important to test it regularly for carbon monoxide leaks. Here’s how to do it:

  1. First, make sure the fireplace is turned off.
  2. Place a CO detector near the fireplace.
  3. Turn on the detector and wait for it to warm up.
  4. Once the detector is warmed up, place it close to the opening of the fireplace.
  5. If the detector beeps or emits a loud noise, there is definitely a CO leak present. Immediately evacuate the premises and call for assistance.

Behavior Changes from CO Exposure

One common sign that you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide is feeling flu-like symptoms without actually having the flu. This can include headache, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. If you have been in an area with high levels of CO and experience these symptoms, it’s important to get fresh air and seek medical attention immediately.

Other behavior changes that may be indicative of CO poisoning include:

If you suspect you or someone else has been poisoned by carbon monoxide, it is crucial to get out of the area immediately and call 911.

Call Now!